Writer, director Rakhee Sandilya’s debut film Ribbon featuring Kalki Koechlin and Sumeet Vyas received glowing reviews from critics and audiences alike. She’s quick, candid and full of fire as she takes on our 15 rapid-fire questions. Read on!
1. What are you watching right now?
Mrs. America, an HBO show on Disney+
2. A director that inspires you?
The list is so long but if I’ve to settle for one, Michael Haneke.
3. An overrated classic?
I know I’m going to be hated for this. Guide.
4. A film you wish you had written?
Recommended: 100 Best Hollywood Movies Of All Time
5. An actor you wish to work with?
Rekha ji. I am charmed by her onscreen presence. She is fabulous and gets into the skin of the character, whether it be a chirpy girl of Khoobsurat or a courtesan in Umrao Jaan.
6. A film you wish had never been made?
7. A book you’d recommend…
Unbound – 2000 years of Indian women’s writing which has been edited by Annie Zaidi.
8. A film that was better than the book?
Mira Nair’s The Namesake
9. A film you’d pick up on a dull day?
Thelma and Louise (1991)
Recommended: 18 Feel-Good Bollywood Movies To Make Your Day
10. A film critics/audiences’ loved but you hated?
11. If not a filmmaker, I would be?
12. An overrated director?
Recommended: 9 Indian Directors We Want To See More Of
13. An underrated film?
14. A tip for aspiring filmmakers?
Make a film… just do it.
15. The best film you’ve seen this year?
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
Recommended: 8 Best Foreign Films On Amazon Prime, Netflix, Mubi You Must Watch