After a successful debut with Revelations (2016), Tamil filmmaker Vijay Jayapal returned this year with his second feature. Nirvana Inn (2019), a psychological horror thriller opened to rave reviews at the 24th Busan International Film Festival early this month. As the film gears up for a theatrical release, let’s get to know our filmmaker in spotlight this week better through our fun, fiery rapid-fire round!
1. What are you binge-watching right now?
2. I can’t wait to watch?
The Marvellous Mrs Maisel (Season 3)
3. The last good film/web series you saw?
Unbelievable (Netflix) (web series)
4. A film you wish you had written/directed?
‘A Separation’ by Asghar Farhadi
5. A book you’d recommend…
Everything that Haruki Murakami has written
6. A book you’d want to make into a film?
The 18th Parallel (Tamil) by Ashokamitran
7. A film that was better than the book?
The Godfather 1 and 2
8. One thing you hate about being a filmmaker?
It’s a lonely job sometimes
9. A myth you want to bust about being a filmmaker?
Filmmakers are too intellectual
10. A film that changed your life?
Iruvar by Mani Ratnam and ‘The Colours Trilogy’ by Kieslowski
11. A film you’d pick up on a dull day?
Any of Paul Thomas Anderson’s films
12. If you woke up as an actor one day, who would it be?
13. A film critics/audiences’ loved but you hated?
Many! I don’t see eye to eye with a lot of critics out here 🙂
14. A filmmaker you admire?
15. The best Indian film you’ve seen this year?
Bonus – An overrated filmmaker?